It is our mission to provide a high quality Montessori environment which enables children to begin their learning journey through life. Our undertaking is to cultivate a life-long love of learning in our children which inspires them to realise their full potential. Our children will grow to be confident and knowledgeable learners which are healthy in mind, body, and spirit so that they go on to make a valued contribution to the community and wider world.
What we do
• We provide a well prepared learning environment which is based on Montessori education methods and is integrated with Te Whaariki.
• The preschool is an aesthetic, calm, warm and nature friendly home-like indoor and outdoor environment with well-organised learning materials in a scientifically designed sequence that is attractive for children to work within.
• Children have the opportunity to work and learn alongside others with mixed ages, abilities, genders, cultures and learn to learn to be receptive, cooperative, warm and graceful in a positive atmosphere.
• We incorporate a bi-cultural approach within the preschool environment by embracing home cultures and customs that honour the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi.
• The preschool provides a warm and welcoming atmosphere for both children and parents which works in collaboration with teachers, parents, family and whanau to make a positive impact on the local community.
The Teachers’ Role
The teachers are not the centre of attention and our focus is on children’s learning, not on teachers’ teaching. The teachers strive to ‘follow the child’ recognising and understanding that each child is unique and have their own individual learning style and their own pace, this needs to be respected. Teachers circulate, observe and support children as needed; working with them with activities and suggesting works when appropriated according to a child’s particular interests and progress.
Expressions of Interest
Casa Montessori Preschool seeks experienced Montessori teachers to join the team.
Expressions of interest are called for, please submit your full CV with a recent photo to firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Prepared Environment
The Montessori classroom provides a ‘prepared environment’ solely for children where they learn through a natural process of exploration. Our classroom is atheistically pleasing, simple, clean and calm. Beautifully designed Montessori materials are placed on the low shelves and there are child sized chairs, tables, and rugs for floor work. Each material is developmentally appropriate, attractive, and incorporates the child’s need for movement, concentration, order and independence.
There are two built-in window seats in each room with cushions and quilts to allow children to relax with books or socialise with other children in natural light.
Daily snacks are always available for children to share with their friends and afterwards they can wash their dishes by hand at child sized sink. This allows them to satisfy their own needs, curiosity and begin to build a sense of confidence in their ability to discover what the world is about.
Montessori believed the environment plays an essential role in the development of young children. The materials, use of space and routines promote child’s independence and exploration and as a result they learn best from direct learning activities in their environment.
In our preschool, the learning areas are divided into organised spaces both inside and outside the classroom. These are: Practical life, Sensorial, Math, Language, Arts and Science/Culture, Outdoor/nature and extended learning classes - Yoga, Spanish and music each week.